I haven't been on a sled in years so it took about half way down to get the hang of it--point your toes inward not outward to minimize snow flying into the face, lean back to avoid turning the wrong way and sliding down backwards! Man, the pitch was so steep in some spots you couldn't see very far in front of you and the mountain side just fell away. You just kinda gotta bail off the saucer to stop yourself. At first, we were going to bring metal dish pans to slide on, but I'm glad we decided to use the plastic ones instead--so many crashes and falls we all would have had broken fingers and the pans would've ended up flying off the cliff! Next day I had a huge bruise on my tailbone from tumbling. At one point, I did see Ezster flying breakneck speed to the side of the mountain where she just managed to stop herself from flying off a cliff but her sled went over! Here's a video of the cat ride up-simply gorgeous I tell you--and Tryana sledding down the hill. Best time ever, 'nuff said.
Before we went sledding we visited some historic turf houses. The Islanders used to live in houses of sod built into hillsides up until the nineteenth century as all the ancient birch forests were cut down waaay early on for firewood and then they used peat and imported coal for fuel. Then we went on to Grenivik, a little town of 3,000 and hung out by the shore where I picked up some nice polished agates and naturalite deposits on the beach and skipped some rocks to the fjiord. There were these kids actually playing in the water and climbing on the breakwall rocks. Hardcore Island kids.
Pics of the trip up to the point where we begin the descent are posted, enjoy!
Monday - RES604 Lifecycle assessment and energy efficiency exam, wish me luck!
No comments:
Post a Comment